Re: question on binary emulation of linux on netbsd/arm ports

> >> I have never seen the iPhone OS referred to as "Mac OS X" in Apple's
> >> materials.  Any why would it be referred to as "Mac OS X"?  It's
> >> *not*
> >> the Mac OS.  It's the iPhone OS, and referred to by Apple as "OS X".
> >
> > And that's not even just a little bit prone to cause confusion? :)
>
> I don't see why... One OS is for the Mac, one for the iPhone.  They
> both share some significant pieces, but there are also some
> differences (APIs not available on but available on the other, etc.).

OK, so maybe I have to spell this out: it's easy (and I've heard and
seen it) for "Mac OS X" to slide into being abbreviated simply to "OS
X" in spoken language.  It's therefore not surprising (to me, anyway)
that people draw the wrong conclusion when they hear that the OS for
the iPhone is named "OS X".  I therefore suggested that it was a poor
naming choice, as it is prone to cause exactly this confusion.

What's done is done, however, and can't be undone.

Regards,

- Håvard