Re: [Fwd: NSLU2 builds and boots, but seems to disappear when running /sbin/init]

On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 18:53 -0500, Donald T Hayford wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  I'm interested in trying this, but don't exactly
> understand how to do it.  Based on my interpretation of what you wrote:
>
> I built what I think is the entire distribution, including the kernel.
> I ended up with a set of files that looked like:
>
> ~/arm-release/evbarm/binary/sets$ ls
> base.tgz  comp.tgz   kern-ADI_BRH.tgz  man.tgz   SHA512     text.tgz
> BSDSUM    etc.tgz    kern-IXM1200.tgz  MD5       SYSVSUM
> CKSUM     games.tgz  kern-NSLU2.tgz    misc.tgz  tests.tgz
>
> Using linux, and a thumb drive formatted with linux, I copied all of the
> above files to the thumb drive, and then expanded the non-kernel *.tgz
> files using "tar -xzvpf base.tgz", etc.  I also expanded the
> kern-NSLU2.tgz file and copied the netbsd.bin file to my tftp server.
> After rebooting the NSLU2, I saw...
This is not the right kernel. I lost my partition and I will have to
reproduce the steps on my machine before I can provide the details.
To give you and idea, you have to copy what is being done for targets
like ADI_BRH. Take a look at files like
distrib/evbarm/instkernel/instkernel/Makefile
and /usr/src/sys/arch/evbarm/conf/ADI_BRH_INSTALL and do the same for
NSLU2. Just grep for ADI_BRH.

I would start by doing a build release and looking at what files are
generated for ADI_BRH. Then try and make the slug look the same. My
kernel refused to work (couldn't find the filesystem) until I enabled:
options        FFS_EI          # FFS Endian Independant support