Re: Failure to build 68060 kernel (need -O2)

> > 1789556 Jul  6 15:07 netbsd
> > 2648433 Jun 24 16:58 netbsd.bad
>
>   Seems your really compiled without optimization. I wonder how that
>   happened.

Big difference!

> > Oh, well. Live and learn! I do remember someone mentioning that, in spite
> > of the fact that COPTS+= implies that you are adding to the list of COPTS,
> > that it replaces the default, so -O2 would come out. I guess I forgot.
>
>   I am confused. AFAIK, adding doesn't replace.

Somewhere I read or was told that when one doesn't use COPTS or CFLAGS
(forget which), the toolchain uses some default values. But setting one of
COPTS or CFLAGS causes that set of defaults to not get used. So if a
toolchain defaults to -O2, then that default needs to be explicitely put
back into a COPTS or CFLAGS line.

I'm sure I could find that reference somewhere if I looked for a while...

John Klos