Re: Failure to build 68060 kernel

Hello!

> This is 1.6.1; the last time I successfully compiled a kernel with -m68060
> in COPTS and COPTFLAGS was in January.

  I don't have -m68060 in any C related flag settings.

> M68060=YES

  This is ok.

> COPTS+=-m68060
> CFLAGS+=-m68060

  I have commented these lines.

> COPTFLAGS+=-m68060

  I have such a line but without the "+" meaning _I_ define the optimization
  flags on my own:

    COPTFLAGS=-O -fomit-frame-pointer

  The kernel itself is compiled with -m68060 (atleast on my setup) because
  the generated Makefile has an IDENT line containg -DM68060. This then
  selects a CFLAGS specifying -m68060.

  Note: Apparently, there is a nasty bug using -fomit-frame-pointer with
  sources that use floats, eg. libxpm or libjpeg. If I compile either
  library with -fomit-frame-pointer then programs using this library
  simply crash. Using gdb to locate the problem will crash gdb :-/

> As of January, I have to comment out COPTS and COPTFLAGS. It's a little
> strange that something like that would change, and it's more strange since
> I can't see why pmap.o would end up without functions such as DCIS_60 and
> friends.

  Maybe you compile *without* optimization? In that case the compiler won't
  inline the cacheops because the use "extern inline".

  Gunther

--
Linux is only free if your time has no value
 - Jamie Zawinsky