Re: 1.6 & -current miniroot: grey screen after loading kernel

On Thu Jan 02 2003 at 16:35:46 +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Actually, I do have the 1.1 installation on disk, but how do I tell the
> bootblock from the miniroot to use a kernel from another partition? I
> tried booting "sd0a:netbsd" instead of just "netbsd", but that didn't work
> out.

What I did was to boot a working NetBSD installation from another
partition, swapoff, dd the miniroot to swap, mount the miniroot and
replace the kernel with my custom one, then boot from the miniroot. It's
a bit kludgy solution but at least it works...

A quick glance at the bootblock code finds a comment saying:

/*
 * Kernel ist loaded from device and partition the kickstart
 * menu or boot priority has chosen:
 */

...which would hint that it isn't actually possible to use kernel from a
different partition than the one the bootloader was booted from...

--
Ilpo Ruotsalainen - <lonewolf%iki.fi@localhost> - http://www.iki.fi/lonewolf/