Re: Dialup networking/ppp

> > You didn't mention your serial speed setting. Try to make it small, say
> > 19200 bps, and see if you get better througput. THis will give us a hint as
> > what to look for.
>
>  I'm 99% certain the setting is 38400.

 Indeed. Lowering it to 19200 makes no noticeable difference.

 Here's my /etc/peers/target config. All $'d values have real values in
 the originale file.

tty00 38400     # modem port and speed
connect '/etc/ppp/chat-script "$NUMBER"' # connect script
welcome '/sbin/route delete default' # delete any current default routes first
#ipparam "<domain-name> <nameservers> <searchlist>"
ipparam "$DOMAIN $NS_1_IP,$NS_2_IP"
passive                         # wait for remote to come up
crtscts                         # use hardware flow control
defaultroute                    # add default routing when link comes up
lock                            # lock the modem port on connect
modem                           # use full modem control
noipdefault                     # no local defaults for IP addresses
lcp-echo-interval 30            # ping the remote every 30 seconds
lcp-echo-failure 10             # declare link down after 10 pings fail
ipcp-accept-local               # allow remote to specify our IP address
ipcp-accept-remote              # allow remote to specify his IP address
netmask 255.255.0.0             # netmask for our assigned IP address
domain $DOMAIN                  # domain name we're connecting into
user $USER                      # account name to use to log onto remote
mtu 500                         # maximum transmission size for link
#noauth                         # do not require peer to authenticate itself

 And I get a lot of these:

Sep 13 23:02:18 localhost /netbsd: ser0: silo overflow
Sep 13 23:02:43 localhost last message repeated 3 times
Sep 13 23:04:53 localhost last message repeated 9 times
Sep 13 23:14:50 localhost last message repeated 37 times
Sep 13 23:25:07 localhost last message repeated 25 times
Sep 13 23:34:51 localhost last message repeated 23 times
Sep 13 23:45:11 localhost last message repeated 39 times
Sep 13 23:54:47 localhost last message repeated 98 times