Dialup networking/ppp

 Amiga 3000, CS MkIII, builtin serial port.

 PPP networking under 1.5.1 sucks massively. I have

options         SERIBUF_SIZE=4096
options         SEROBUF_SIZE=512
options         LEV6_DEFER      # defers l6 to l4 (below serial l5)

 in my kernel config file, and still I get TONS of ser0 silo overflow
 messages. In addition, the connection often seems to go to sleep for
 any amount of time. I often have to wait like 30s for a simple text
 screen refresh. If there is any load on my NetBSD box, the connection
 appears to blackout completely, until the load goes down.

 I would really appreciate some hints on how to tackle this.