Re: Getting ready for NetBSD 1.5

> > What's the best way to do this with the least amount of downtime? I'd
> > like to keep downtime down to, at most, 15 minutes or less.
>
> Use a binary upgrade, then. And check first, that you'll have enough space
> in the root filesystem for 1.5... it needs a lot more (read INSTALL.TXT etc.
> for the exact numbers). 15 minutes won't be enough, however.

The computer has two 18 gig and one 4 gig drives; the partitions are
pretty large.

I've noticed that in the upgrade notes, it is recommended that one runs
the upgrade from the miniroot.fs; this, of course, means I'd need physical
access to the machine.

Since the machine is colocated, I'd prefer to avoid this. What if I were
to bring the system into single user mode, untargzip all of the 1.5 binary
sets, replace the 1.4 kernel with the 1.5 kernel, and reboot?

Then I'd rebuild everything from scratch while the system is up.

Otherwise, I'd have to get an escort into the colocation facility at
2:00am or something! Fun!

Thanks,
John Klos