Re: Getting ready for NetBSD 1.5

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 06:19:15PM -0500, John Klos wrote:
> > > What's the best way to do this with the least amount of downtime? I'd
> > > like to keep downtime down to, at most, 15 minutes or less.
> >
> > Use a binary upgrade, then. And check first, that you'll have enough space
> > in the root filesystem for 1.5... it needs a lot more (read INSTALL.TXT etc.
> > for the exact numbers). 15 minutes won't be enough, however.
>
> The computer has two 18 gig and one 4 gig drives; the partitions are
> pretty large.
>
> I've noticed that in the upgrade notes, it is recommended that one runs
> the upgrade from the miniroot.fs; this, of course, means I'd need physical
> access to the machine.
>
> Since the machine is colocated, I'd prefer to avoid this. What if I were
> to bring the system into single user mode, untargzip all of the 1.5 binary
> sets, replace the 1.4 kernel with the 1.5 kernel, and reboot?

well, it should boot, but possibly only to single user mode. Do you have
remote access to a serial console? 1.5 configuration is really different
from the old way. I strongly suggest to try this first on a different machine
without urgent real-life uses.

1.4.3 should be installable in the way you suggest... if you do NOT install
the etc set, of course.

Regards,
        Ignatios