Re: problems after install

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Amigauser wrote:

> I have just installed NetBSD on my 2000. I would like
> to turn this computer into a web server, but I am
> a newbe to NetBSD, and I am having some problems just
> configuring NetBSD.
>
> 1) I need to find some kind of docs on vi. I can seem
> to work on the config files with it. Or install
> another program to edit the config files.

        You should install the 'vilearn' package from pkgsrc.
        See http://www.netbsd.org/packages/

> 2) I don't know how this happened but usr is installed
> on sd0a. Plus I am not sure how to mount the sd0e
> partition, and copy usr to it. (I think that is where
> usr should be mounted, right now I only have / mounted)

        1) Make sure /dev/sd0e does not overlap any existing partitions.
           Check the output from 'disklabel(8)'.
        2) If it does not already contain a filesystem, run
           # newfs /dev/sd0e
        3) Mount it and copy across data
           # mount /dev/sd0e /mnt
           # cd /usr
           # pax -rw -pe . /mnt
           # umount /mnt
        4) Edit /etc/fstab and add '/dev/sd0e /usr ffs rw 1 2'
        5) Shutdown to single user mode and make new mountpoint
           # shutdown now
           # mv /usr /usr.old
           # mkdir /usr
        6) Bring system up, test, and when all OK, 'rm -rf /usr.old'

> 3) I need to know if there is a way to make the NetBSD
> screen take up the entire monitor. Right now it only
> uses the right side of the screen. (I think under
> Amiga O/S I am using 740x480?) Plus I would like to
> be able to make the text bigger. (It is really hard
> for me to see)

        Sorry, not an amiga expert :)

> 4) I have read some of the Achive of the port-Amiga mailing
> list, and I would like to be able to build an optimized
> kernel for an 060. (Plus compile the web server)
> What version of C do I need to use to do this?

        The compiler in the comp.tar.gz should be fine

        See:
        http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#how_to_build_a_kernel
        and
        http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html

> 5) I think that I am looking for a consultant to help me
> though some of this. I would really like to get the
> web server running within a week or so.

        I'm afraid I can't help there - maybe someone else on the list?

                David/absolute
                               -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --