Re: Suggestions wanted

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 03:22:54PM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> (one) In order to reduce thrashing, I have decided to have my root,
> swap, and /usr/web on the first drive, and var, usr, and additional
> swap on the second.
>       (a) is this ideal for a heavily used web server?

  I don't think so. You should keep all static data on the same drive.
  Thus place /, /usr and maybe /usr/web on the first drive. Put /var,
  /tmp and swap on the second. I am not sure about /usr/web because
  I have no idea what it will contain.

>       (b) can I prioritise the swap, and if so, which drive should have it?

  Sorry, I don't know.

> (three) Regarding memory, I have 128 megs of 64 bit ram on the
> CyberStorm, and I have 16 megs on the motherboard. Knowing that
> motherboard memory is substantially slower than accelerator memory,
> should I remove it, or can I have NetBSD use it for some other
> purpose?

  By default NetBSD/amiga does use the largest memory block only, thus
  the motherboard ram will never be used. Removing it won't benefit you.

> (four) Also regarding memory (this is a long shot): Has anyone heard
> of or does anyone know of any way to get a CyberStorm to recognise
> 128 meg SIMMs? I have two 128 meg SIMMs in my Blizzard 1260, but when
> I put them on the CyberStorm, they appear as only 32 megs each.

  Does that mean your Blizzard has 256MB of memory? I have heard that
  the blizzard can address more memory but I don't know why. With a
  CyberStorm you are limited to 128MB with 4x32MB. AFAIK, only 32MB
  modules work.

  Gunther