Re: PCMCIA cards

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 06:21:49PM +0200, Simon Richter wrote:

> I'm thinking about leaving Linux because of the mess they made with the
> Amiga PCMCIA drivers (the only network card supported is the NE2000, and
> the driver contains a complete PCMCIA subsystem), but I couldn't find any
> resources on PCMCIA on the Amiga under NetBSD. What is the current
> status? Will I be able to use a WaveLAN PCMCIA card in my A1200?

The latter is not known, but it's pretty trivial to check with 1.5ish
or development tree (-current) sources.

I'm about to compile a test kernel... I guess I should add WAVELAN support
so that you can try.

The problem is that the PCMCIA slot in A1200 is only conforming to an
pre-release version of the PCMCIA standard, and some cards have real problems.
Also, interupt latency might be too high for some of them.

NE-2000 like cards have been reported to work, and actually, they are the only
for which I'm aware of AmigaOS drivers!

Regards,
        Ignatios