Re: PicassoIV and 16-bit screenmodes.

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 06:25:06PM +0300, Petri Koistinen wrote:

> I just subscribed this mailing list, because I want to know when it will
> be possible to use 16-bit modes in X with NetBSD using PicassoIV
> graphicscard.
>
> If I have understand correctly, NetBSD kernel already support 16- and
> 24-bit modes

uhm, for Picasso? sort of, setting the timing modes (well, and the color map
for 8bit modes), which is the only support NetBSD/Amiga has in-kernel.

> but X Window system does not.

The X server (Xamiga) does not, that's right.

> Also I have heard that XFree86 version 4.0 will fix this problem.

I somehow doubt that a particular X11 or Xfree version will help. Problem is
that Amiga graphics boards sometimes use strange addressing, e.g. with
bytes swapped on word accesses... I guess that for certain chipsets, XFree 4
does contain accellerations that older ones didn't. Again, this strongly
depends on the chipset used, and its usage by Xamiga depends on the strangeness
of the Amiga boards and the effort put in by the Xamiga programmers.

> If this makes sense to you, do know if
> there is already a effort going on to port new XFree86 v4.0 to NetBSD?
> Or is that X11R6.4 which has the needed support?

You should ask these questions on the tech-x11%netbsd.org@localhost mailing
list.