Re: BFFS 1.5 problems

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 07:35:16AM +0200, Georges Heinesch wrote:
> Quoting Eirik Nicolai Synnes (22-May-00 12:07:06):
>
> > I can't see anything obvious errors with your setup, but here are a
> > few suggestions.
>
> >> Here what HDToolbox says about my NetBSD_root: partition:
>
> > [...]
>
> >> Cylinders: 3104
> >> Heads: 1
> >> Blocks per Track: 2864
> >> locks per Cylinder: 2864
>
> > Are you sure this is correct? If I remember correctly HDToolBox will
> > only display this information based on what the drive reports (which
> > may differ from what is in the RDB) as it only displays this in the
> > drive initialization display. (the exception being a mountlist saved
> > by AmigaOS
> > 3.5 HDToolBox)
>
> How can I know it's correct? The only way I can get this information
> is via HDToolBox. No idea whether it's correct ?!?! Before, I had BFFS
> 1.5 beta installed with a JAZ drive, and there the used data from
> HDToolBox worked perfectly.

There is no "right" and "wrong" with modern SCSI or "IDE" (ATA) disks.
Disks tell you a geometry if you (or HDTOOLBOS) ask them nicely, but thats
completely fictional...

If you _use_ this geometry (e.g. for file system or partition addressing
purposes) you have only to make sure that all tools use the same geometry.