Re: Upgrading to 1.4.1 from 1.3.2

On Fri, Dec 31, 1999 at 02:32:24PM -0500, Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 wrote:
> I did find a little bit of extra information in my system log. the
> Generic kernel reports:
>
> /netbsd WARNING: converted MAP_PRIVATE device mapping to MAP_SHARED (pid
> 180 comm Xamiga)
>
> This does sound like the problem.

No. This is only a warning, and does no harm in this particular case.
It has been fixed for quite a while on -current; I don't remember whether
this was fixed in 1.4.1 already.

> When you mean "raw install" you do mean a full install ie reformatting
> partitions and doing everything again from scratch? What i did do is
> use the installer to upgrade (binary upgrade) including the etc set and
> then I integrated all the chages I made in etc and X11R6/lib/X11/xdm and
> the config is there, everything works the same but the graphics are not
> being drawn properly.

Even in this case, a full backup of the system might help you to install
the old status in case something goes wrong. (If you _depend_ on the system
to be up next monday morning 0800..., you need something like this :-)

> I'm a touch reluctant to do a new complete install as I've spent a few
> hours making the changes in this 1.4.0 system. Should I download 1.4.1
> and use that instead?

Depending on how you plan future upgrade policy etc, you might even want
to wait for 1.4.2, but this will take a couple more weeks. (I didnt manage
to build the -1.4.2_ALPHA test yet for Amiga)