Re: your mail

On Sun, Aug 08, 1999 at 05:15:38PM +0200, Job Hanssen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I began installing NetBSD1.3.2/Amiga again, after having messed up my
> initial installation last week and being too impatient to wait any longer
> for the 1.4.1 release (and also the weather changed, so the beach isn't  the
> most inviting place to be anymore).
>
> Could anyone tell me how (or point me to a relevant source of information)
> to get the system date & time right on this system? I've never got this
> right, but maybe someone else did?
>
> While running AmigaOS, timesettings are correct (I suppose):Locale: GMT+1
> (I'm located in The Netherlands).

No. In summer, you have to put it at GMT+2... the Netherlands, last I
heard, still used dailight savings time.

> But when I boot into NetBSD with 'gobsd MULTIUSER <kernel>', the time is of
> by 2 hours, i.e. the system thinks it's 2 hours later than the actual time.
> In /etc, I have a link called localtime, pointing to
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Amsterdam.

NetBSDs internal clock, as that of every Unixoid system, runs at GMT.
The "localtime" setting, or the TZ environment variable, only tells it
how to translate the time to a printed version (e.g., when you start
the date command).

You have two options:

a) run your Amiga clock at GMT; and use e.g. "unixclock" from Aminet to make
AmigaOS translate between the internal clock and your local time zone. Works
very well, I do it all the time on my mixed AMigaOS/NetBSD system.

b) run your Amiga clock at your local time zone, and compile a NetBSD kernel
with RTC_OFFSET=120 (in summer) or RTC_OFFSET=1 (in winter), so that it knows
the offset between the hardware clock and the NetBSD internal clock.

see "man options".