Re: X crash in 1.4

On Sun, May 23, 1999 at 03:10:23PM -0500, Bo Najdrovsky wrote:
> Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
>

> > (please include your ~/.xserverrc or  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers,
> >  and your kernel startup messages).
> >

> It's not related to any RC files... it happens even when I just run  "X
> -mode 4" from the command line.   It switches to the graphics mode  (mode 4

Are you aware that you MAY NOT START the X server as non-root? Use Xwrapper
instead. This is explained in the INSTALL.X11 document. Your problem might be
related.

Otherwise: Hm... try to use explicit -dev /dev/grf3, please.

> is 1024x768 8bpp),  then it does some disk thrashing, and finally switches
> back to console, and prints Segmentation Fault before I get the prompt
> back.  I reinstalled both the X server and the X base tarballs, but the
> problem still persists.  I suppose I could try to reinstall the entire
> system if you think that might make some sort of difference, but I'd rather
> avoid that.

As long as you installed all of 1.4 X11, and 1.4 base system, and 1.4 kernel,
with no 1.3 remnants, I think this is not necessary.

Regards,
        Ignatios