Re: New snapshot

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 08:47:42AM +0100, Rainer Doemer wrote:

> looking at the list of changes, I see that egcs 1.1.1 is now used as
> standard compiler. Could you please do me the favor of checking the
> exact gcc/g++ version, e.g. "gcc -v" ?

jocelyn is !% gcc -v
Using builtin specs.
gcc version egcs-2.91.60 19981201 (egcs-1.1.1 release)

> I don't want to install the whole system for this simple test, but
> if that compiler still chokes on code like this
>
> typedef int t;
> typedef t* u;
> typedef int t;
> typedef t* u;

> then I'll probably better stay with my old system. Or, is there any
> "easy" way of installing the newer egcs 1.1.2 myself?

jocelyn is !% cat rainerdroemer.c
typedef int t;
typedef t* u;
typedef int t;
typedef t* u;

jocelyn is !% gcc -c rainerdroemer.c
rainerdroemer.c:3: redefinition of `t'
rainerdroemer.c:1: `t' previously declared here
rainerdroemer.c:4: redefinition of `u'
rainerdroemer.c:2: `u' previously declared here

jocelyn is !% gcc -traditional -c rainerdroemer.c
jocelyn is !%

I tend to believe that your code simply is no valid ANSI C, and if you want
to use that old langugage dialect, you have to specify -traditional.

However, people on tech-toolchain might tell you I'm wrong, and 1.1.2 would
fix this.

> BTW, yes, I know my question is not Amiga specific.

Yes, and you should ask on tech-toolchain. AFAIK, there are plans by the
knowledgeable ones to intergrate 1.1.2 soonish, but I think it wont happen
for 1.4.0 unless critical bugs which cant be worked around easily force us
to. (Better have a bunch of know bugs, mostly fixed or worked around than a
bunch of unknown ones).

Regards,
        Ignatios