Re: Umlaute

Quoting Markus Illenseer (16-Aug-98 21:51:55):

> I am not sure, but I believe that the X servers have accidentely
> been
> compiled w/o the keyboard extensions.

I use NetBSD 1.3 (not 1.3.2) [if that's of any relevance].

But there's no difference in behaviour regarding the console and
xterm.

>> Why does xterm not show/accept Umlaute?

> What makes you believe it doesnt? /bin/sh, /bin/csh do not display
> Umlauts, other shell do it only when compiled with 8BIT.

Well, tcsh doesn't do either. I looked through the configure.in or
Makefile.in of tcsh and didn't find any declaration which could enable
Umlaute.

> Also, xterm
> must use a font with Umlauts (ISO-8859-1 settings in xfontsel).

The standard font seems to be able to do this, since 'cat >/dev/null'
displays Umlaute (when hitting the appropriate keys ;).

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei%ibm.net@localhost - geohei%geocities.com@localhost

... ELLX