Re: Umlaute

Quoting Michael Boehnisch (17-Aug-98 11:16:23):

> Georges Heinesch <ghmlist%ibm.net@localhost> wrote:

>>I installed X11 according INSTALL and didn't change anything in the
>>configuration, except for what is said in INSTALL.
> [..]
>>Why does xterm not show/accept Umlaute?

> Under which circumstances does this happen?

Is happens on the console and X. It's not specific to one shell
(/bin/sh as well as /usr/local/bin/tcsh don't display them).

> If you try to enter
> Umlauted vowels directly into the shell running on your xterm and
> do not see anything this is OK - the shell filters 'em out (I
> think).

> Try the following:

>     cat >/dev/null

> and hit some Umlauted keys.  If they appear now, your system is
> running as it's supposed to do.

Yep, then they appear, independently whether sh/tcsh or the console /
xterm is used. Great!

What can I do now to make them usable during normal operation (e.g.
when hitting Umlauts when sh/tcsh is running, with vi, ...)?

--
Cu  Georges Heinesch, Luxembourg
    geohei%ibm.net@localhost - geohei%geocities.com@localhost

... Amiga - Why use Windows, since there is a door ...