Re: 1.3.2 Install Problems

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 11:19:00 +0200 (MET DST),
Michael Boehnisch <billy%psycho.uni-paderborn.de@localhost> wrote about Re:
1.3.2 Install Problems:

> Looks like a trashed filesystem.  Two causes are possible:
>
>   1. During your previous installation tries something was written
>      to your swap partition (e.g. a core dump).  Solution: re-install
>      the miniroot.fs and try again.
>
>   2. Your miniroot.fs was damaged from the very beginning, maybe a
>      transmission error.  Try to get another copy, install it, try
>      again.

Yes, the miniroot.fs was damaged. I downloaded the uncompresed version
and it worked. I suspect it was my use of the Amiga version of gzip to
extract the original that screwed it up.

Now my problem is not being able to use vi. After installing
everything I halt the system and reboot as root using loadbsd netbsd.
At this point I want to add myself as a user with password using
chpass but I get the following error:
    ex/vi: Error: unknown: No such file or directory
I can't get vi to work at all, only ed. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ola

--
/**