Re: NetBSD and Apple Laserwriter II NTX printers

Hello,

> The "ms=crtscts,evenp,-ixon" entry is supposed to be setting flow control

yes. But look closer at your printer handbook.

What we, nowadays, do is:

cts tells the computer or peripheral it may send
rts tells the modem it may send.

For a nullmodem-cable, we cross-connect cts to other rts, and rts to other cts.

For all Apple Laserwriters I have known, they don't do this, but rather
something alongside the original definition of the bits, with
4-wire-handshaking:

Outward direction:

rts tells the cable the computer/peripheral wants to send, cts tells it it
may send.

Inward direction: is done using DSR/DTR signals:
DTR tells the modem the peripheral is "ready".

You need to connect your computers "cts" signal to the printers "dtr" to
make handshaking work, (and 7-7 for signal ground, and 2-3 / 3-2 for the
data).

Somebody please add this to same faq.

Regards,
        Ignatios Souvatzis