Re: problems booting from hard drive

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:55:43PM -0400, Dan McMahill wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to get past this?  My intention is to use the
> windows 7 boot selector on the other drive to pick between Windows 7 and
> NetBSD.  I went through the steps to do that (used fdisk to write to
> ./nbmbr, copied that file to c:\ on the other drive, and then used
> bcdedit under windows).  When I try to boot using the windows 7 boot
> selector (by swapping the boot order in the bios), I see both OS's
> listed and when I pick NetBSD I get the same failure after the primary
> bootstrap is loaded.

That might fail for a different reason.
I don't think the windows bootselector can pass the correct disk
number in %dl. So the netbsd code might read the wrong disk.
You might need to edit/patch the netbsd boot code to force
the disk number.

You will also have to fixup things like /etc/fstab when the root
disk number changes.

For the original issue - have you checked /boot exists.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost