problems booting from hard drive

I just did a fresh install from a -current (as of a few days ago) cd
created from one of the releng autobuilds.  Booting the cd went fine,
the install went fine, nothing looked out of the ordinary.  I used the
entire hard drive which was brand new, never been written to.  Told
sysinst to use the whole drive.  Got to the end and when I rebooted
without the CD in, I get as far as the primary bootstrap but then it fails.

The message on the screen is:

Fn: disnk
NetBSD MBR boot

NetBSD/x86 ffsv1 Primary Bootstrap
Boot failed (errno 5): Can't open /boot

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

A few other things which may or may not matter.  This computer has both
an IDE controller and SATA on the motherboard.  The hard drive picked
for NetBSD is the SATA drive and in the bios that is chosen to be the
first drive to boot from.  When I ran sysinst, the SATA drive showed up
as wd0.  If I boot from the CD into the boot program and just type
"dev", I see:

disk hd0 size 465 Gb
disk hd1 size 74 Gb
  hd1a(NTFS) hd1b(NTFS)
disk fd0
 fd0a
disk fd1
 fd1a
default cd0a

the 465 Gb one is the SATA drive I did the install on.    If I boot into
sysinst, pull up the utility menu and then run /bin/sh I can run
disklabel wd0 and see that wd0a is 4.2BSD.  Not sure why the "dev" above
didn't show hd0a.  Also trying

boot hd0a:netbsd

fails with

open hd0a:netbsd:  Input/output error
boot: hd0a:netbsd; Input/output error

I did get an erratum 101 on CPU0 so I'll try to find a bios upgrade.  Is
there any chance that is related to this problem?

the bits of dmesg which correspond to the sata drive are:

satalink0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0: Silicon Image SATALink 3114 (rev. 0x02)
[snip]
atabus0 at satalik0 channel 0
[snip]
wd0 at atabus drive 0
wd0: <ST3500413AS>
wd0: drive supports 16-section PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd0: 465 Gb, 969021 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 976773168 sectors
wd0: 32-bit data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
wd0(satalink0:0:0) using PIO mode 4, ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133) (using
DMA)

Any suggestions on how to get past this?  My intention is to use the
windows 7 boot selector on the other drive to pick between Windows 7 and
NetBSD.  I went through the steps to do that (used fdisk to write to
./nbmbr, copied that file to c:\ on the other drive, and then used
bcdedit under windows).  When I try to boot using the windows 7 boot
selector (by swapping the boot order in the bios), I see both OS's
listed and when I pick NetBSD I get the same failure after the primary
bootstrap is loaded.

Thanks
-Dan