Port-alpha archive

Re: XFree86 on Digital PWS600au

On Tue, 13 Sep 2016, the wise Marco Beishuizen wrote:

Eventually, x11/modular-xorg-server fails to build with little information. During the build of ../work/xorg-server-1.18.4/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/alpha-video.lo it exits. The only message I got was that "some warnings are handled as errors". So I'd be happy if someone has a pointer what to do next.

I managed to install an Xorg version with the needed patches that are not in pkgsrc.

After that, in order to run X on NetBSD, the "options INSECURE" needed to be set (Xorg needs the sysctl kern.securelevel to be -1 or 0).

After rebuilding the GENERIC kernel with this option set though, X crashes immediately when running startx. That is, NetBSD exits immediately to the SRM console, without error logs in /var/log or core dumps. It doesn't look like a kernel panic either. Only messages in the SRM console are:
halt code = 6
double error halt

Regards,
Marco

--
	Mother seemed pleased by my draft notice.  "Just think of all
the people in England, they've chosen you, it's a great honour, son."