Port-alpha archive

Re: XFree86 on Digital PWS600au

On Tue, 2016-09-06 at 19:32 +0200, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2016, the wise Michael Kronsteiner wrote:
>

> > does netbsd boot into framebuffer mode? if so, running X should be
> > as
> > easy as "startx" using wscons / ws framebuffer driver.
>
> I don't know, it boots into the console and I try to start X with
> startx.

does your console look like "drawn" characters or more like simple text
mode? drawn is framebuffer, text mode is no graphics driver loaded
"fallback" mode

> > if not you have to specify driver module for X, iE if your machine
> > boots
> > into normal text mode.
>
> First thing I would like to do is to create a config file but have no
> idea
> how. "X -configure" doesn't work and there is no XF86Config or
> XF86Setup
> script on the system.
>

> > in case of doubt, try another (as simple as possible) graphics card
>
> Yeah, but the Matrox is the only PCI card I have lying around, and it
> did

graphics and X drivers on alpha are funny stuff. i had many headaches
to get voodoo3 3000pci running with accelleration. maybe an old ati
card might do the trick ("rage" series). matrox mga also had issues i
never dived into, as not owning one.

alpha architecture is pretty much dead lately, so you will have to
trick around on your own a bit.

> work 10 years ago.

see?

maybe using it simple as VGA framebuffer does the trick. no
accelleration then though.