Port-alpha archive

Re: looking for a server

On 3 Apr 2008, at 7:06 PM, Miles Nordin wrote:
"pm" == Paul Mather <paul%gromit.dlib.vt.edu@localhost> writes:

   pm> The first CD burner I ever bought was for my DEC 3000/300.  It
   pm> burned CDs just fine using cdrecord.  That Alpha lasted longer
   pm> than the CD burner, too. :-)

srsly guys, reminiscing is great, and they are beautiful machines and
all that, but when someone asks serious questions about getting work
done we need to not reply out of our happy fantasy worlds.  ``IDE is
sketchy on Alpha, and no one can agree the problem exists much less
fix it.  CD's do not burn.  Burning CD's works okay on sparc64.''

 ^^^^ This is helpful.

``Once upon a time I had the greatest CD burner on the greatest
machine, so CD burning on Alphas is wonderful, but it was a SCSI
burner^W^W^W^W^W^W[SEND]''

 ^^^^ is, frankly, deceptive and, in terms of helpfulness, worse than
      nothing.

Deceptive? Everything I wrote was FACT. It may not be fact for all versions of NetBSD/alpha and all Alpha models, but it is a 100% true statement I made.

As for helpfulness, if you wanted to tell the guy to get a Sparc-based system instead, why not just come right out and say it instead of going all around the houses? :-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul%gromit.dlib.vt.edu@localhost

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa