Re: Dependencies on www/zope3

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Greg Troxel wrote:

> You may a lot of good points.  But I think we should try to decouple
> "this package messes up the bulk build" from "we'd be better off if
> these bits were removed".

Agreed.  I was planning to send a proposal of packages to remove in a few
weeks, but I expected the zope3 things to be uncontroversial as I
believed that we usually just remove packages when the dependencies in
pkgsrc has been removed due to obsolescence.

I was apparently wrong... :)

> If bulk builds won't start becuase there is a package with a dangling
> dependency, then that sounds like a bug.  I don't know if adding
>  BROKEN=depends on zope3 which has been removed
> would avoid the breakage, or if dropping it from wip/Makefile would
> suffice.

No 'BROKEN' does not help -- it seems to be evaluated after the pbulk has
built its dependency graph...

> I'm not as up on bulk builds as I should be.  Do you mean old-style
> bulk, pbulk, or distbb, and what happens when there is a package with an
> unresolved dependency?

I'm using pbulk.  I have not looked into the details of the
implementation, but the behavior seems to be that it does a pass through
all packages an records the version of each package, and all the
dependencies.   It then builds the dependency graph.  And this fails if
you have a dependency on e.g. foo>=1.0 and pbulk cannot find any foo-*
that satisfy this in the list of all packages, and it then refuses to
continue.

It has a mechanism for dropping the packages with such impossible
dependencies, but I do not think it works for pkgsrc-wip (as the
pkgsrc-wip build use limited_list).  And I do not want to use it for
pkgsrc-wip anyway, as one common error I want to detect is for
new/incorrectly updated packages that does incorrect things with the
versioning (such as wip/meta-tracker.  It has version 0.8.18, but its
buildlink3.mk sets
   BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS.meta-tracker+=    meta-tracker>=0.9.38
so that all packages that use this get an impossible dependency).

Btw. this problem only exist for dependencies that are seen by pbulk
(i.e. added to DEPENDS etc.).  Missing buildlink3.mk is fine, as no
dependency for the missing package is added when the package errors
out with "Could not find ../../wip/foo/buildlink3.mk".  But I would like
pkgsrc-wip to be clean from such errors too --  one somewhat common error
is to forget to commit some files (e.g. when adding a buildlink3.mk to an
existing package when you are working on a new package), and finding these
new errors are more annoying when there are tons of such errors from old
packages...

    /Krister