Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 6.0/x86_64 2013-06-05 09:18

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> writes:

> Lloyd Parkes <lloyd%must-have-coffee.gen.nz@localhost> writes:
>
>> On 10/06/2013, at 3:12 PM, OBATA Akio
>> <obache%users.sourceforge.net@localhost> wrote:
>
>>> Packages should have {CVS,SVN,GIT,HG}_TAG, or such packages are not
>>> for regular usage.
>>> Another solution is `set CHECKOUT_DATE at the date of starting bulk build'.
>
>> So I read the code in git-package.mk and maybe I can make a useful
>> suggestion this time.
>>
>> Surely the build of a package from Git should remember it's
>> _GIT_TAG_FLAG.${repo} or similar? After all, you always want to
>> install the version of the package you've just built and you always
>> want to build the version of the package that you've just
>> extracted. Nobody should have to remember when midnight occurs in
>> someone else's timezone, which is the current situation. If this
>> information is cached in ${WRKDIR} then it'll be erased with
>> everything else by "make clean".
>
> I'll make a stronger suggestion

Just a reminder, this is not pkgsrc, this is WIP.

> every package using ${vcs}-package.mk
> should bind to a particlur source version, via a svn revision, git tag
> or sha1, or cvs -D, or something like that.

I strongly object this suggestion. Setting make variable is trivial,
unsetting is hard.

> But I realize there are probably a few packages that want to get the
> latest every day, and for those I agree with Lloyd,  Plus, they should
> have the date in the binary package version.

They have the date already unless somebody overrides it in Makefile.

I am heavy user of VCS-based packages, I switch between VCS and fixed
versions frequently, and I have found that I'd rather trip over version
change rather than version fixed inside Makefile. This is especially
important for the Really Heavy Package (MLton that builds for two days
breaking usually after 14 hours of compilation). Once again bulk builder
can easily manage setting CHECKOUT_DATE without making life of others harder.

--
BECHA...
   CKOPO CE3OH...