RE: buildlink3 confusion

> Here I assume you mean that "USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO" is a generally a Bad
> Thing(TM) to put in a Makefile and should be avoided, but may be used
> manually to set up the build environment by knowledgable users.  Am I
> understanding you correctly?

Yes.

> Thanks for pointing these out.  As I indicated, I am still pretty new to
> the internals of how pkgsrc actually works.  Shouldn't this sort of
> thing be up to the dependent package to specify the dependency versions
> it needs?

In some cases it is, but only for newer (larger number) versions.

We want to make it easy and consistent for pkgsrc binary end-users to be
able to install and use a wide range of software (using binary
ready-to-use packages).

> I can't speak to SDL generally, but I know that the software I am
> building will compile against either version.  It ought to work with any
> SDL with the current API.  (Possibly even older APIs; I don't know if
> the calls it makes have changed or now.)  I really don't understand why
> the possible ABI change is an issue here at all.

I don't know the details for SDL also. But since you mention
"building will compile" that refers to
BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.SDL+=     SDL>=1.2.5nb5
so as far as we know, it can work with older APIs (back to around 1.2.5).

The concern is for end-users who use ready-to-use packages and do not
compile (build from source).

I had a quick look at the library filenames for the 1.2.9nb2 package
versus the 1.2.11nb1 package and the shared library names and SONAMEs are
changed. From what I see, a binary package that was build against SDL
1.2.9 (because of USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO) would not work with SDL 1.2.11
package).

This is 1.2.9nb2:
 libSDL.so.2
 libSDL.so.2.0.9

This is 1.2.11nb1:
 libSDL-1.2.so.0
 libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.0

(I use USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO myself but can't/wouldn't share the binary
packages publicly.)

  Jeremy C. Reed