buildlink3 confusion

I am trying to construct my first package.  :)  I've successfully built
this software on my system, and am now trying to integrate it into the
pkgsrc framework.  But I have a problem with dependencies.  In my case
it is some SDL stuff, but it really is irrelevant.

When I put DEPENDS+=... in my Makefile, it finds that SDL is installed,
but fails during configuration (at the step where it checks for SDL)
because (I think) the real command line after the pkgsrc wrapper is
searching .../work/.buildlink/include/SDL but it isn't there.  But when
I .include the buildlink3.mk file instead, it tries to upgrade my SDL
installation to the newest pkgsrc version (1.2.10) instead of using the
installed one (1.2.9)!

I do not want to force people to upgrade libraries unnecessarily.  How
do I resolve this?  I am reading the pkgsrc documentation, but trying to
absorb this much information all at once makes my brain hurt.  :P  If
someone can point me to the relevant section, or some other resource
that addresses this question directly, that would be most helpful.

Thank you,
Tim

--
Tim Larson
InterCall, a subsidiary of West Corporation