RE: buildlink3 confusion

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I assume you are referring to ../../devel/SDL/buildlink3.mk.

That is correct.

> BUILDLINK_API_DEPENDS.SDL+=     SDL>=1.2.5nb5
> BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS.SDL+=     SDL>=1.2.10
>
> The "API_DEPENDS" is for changes in headers or other development
> interface changes. The "ABI_DEPENDS" is used for the binary interface
> or major library changes.
>
> To ignore these ABI dependency recommendations, use USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO
> but don't put that in your Makefile. Do not use USE_ABI_DEPENDS unless
> you are prepared for the problems associated.

Here I assume you mean that "USE_ABI_DEPENDS=NO" is a generally a Bad
Thing(TM) to put in a Makefile and should be avoided, but may be used
manually to set up the build environment by knowledgable users.  Am I
understanding you correctly?

Thanks for pointing these out.  As I indicated, I am still pretty new to
the internals of how pkgsrc actually works.  Shouldn't this sort of
thing be up to the dependent package to specify the dependency versions
it needs?

> Because of the BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS.SDL shown above, users of your
> new package should update to at least that newer SDL.
>
> If you know that 1.2.9's libraries are interchangeable with 1.2.10's
> libraries let us know and maybe we can research this further.

I can't speak to SDL generally, but I know that the software I am
building will compile against either version.  It ought to work with any
SDL with the current API.  (Possibly even older APIs; I don't know if
the calls it makes have changed or now.)  I really don't understand why
the possible ABI change is an issue here at all.

Tim
--
Tim Larson
InterCall, a subsidiary of West Corporation