Re: Moving wip to Subversion

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:31:17 -0500, Douglas Wade Needham wrote:

> I agree.  Every time I have dealt with others wanting to move some
> project or another to SVN, I ask the same questions...Why?  What does
> it fix?  What does it gain us?  etc.

My own pro-SVN/con-CVS list (i.e. why you should use SVN instead of CVS
for all new projects):

- transactional commits (mo more "hey folks, please remove my CVS lock!")
- "single tree" approach, rather "per file" for CVS (for pkgsrc
  this is not valuable, but mentioned here beacuse of your experience)
- efficient network operations (diffs, branches, etc.)
- modular design (libsvn, fsfs/bdb[/sql?] stores, etc.)

If you are not happy with damn lot of files for big projects, just drop
the third argument (it's open source, do it yourself or ask on SVN
development team).

On the other hand, I really see no reason for pkgsrc-wip SVN migration.
Because:

- original pkgsrc is stored in CVS
- it currently just works
- no extra tools for most development platforms

--
Cheers,
Mishka.