Re: Unable to ci wip/Makefile

On 8/16/05, Mehul Sanghvi <mehul.sanghvi%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> > > Yup, that is true, but since I was setting PKGNAME to something
> > > diffrent, it was needed.
> > > Now that I've removed PKGNAME, it is not needed and so taken out.
> >
> > No.  WRKSRC is always derived from DISTNAME, so you don't need to
> > set it even if you manually change PKGNAME.
> >

> While doing the work on vtwm, in one of the initial versions I had,
> before I discovered
> url2pkg, I had borrowed the Makefile from wm/tvtwm and also used ports2pkg as
> a FreeBSD port already existed.
>
> In one of those, I can't remember which one it was, I had set the
> PKGNAME to vtwm
> while the DISTNAME was vtwm-5.4.7.  While doing a make, the build was trying
> cd to work/vtwm which didn't exist, instead of work/vtwm-5.4.7,  since
> vtwm untars into
>  vtwm-5.4.7.
>
> Based on that experience, I was trying to be careful and make sure that the
> build worked correctly, even if I had PKGNAME set to something
> diffrent then DISTNAME.

It's strange, because bsd.pkg.mk does not do that anywhere.

> What I was trying to do by setting the PKGNAME was to get the following
> effect:
>
>      prompt# pkg_add vtwm
>
> rather then having to do
>
>     prompt# pkg_add vtwm-5.4.7
>
> Is this incorrect behaviour for NetBSD/pkgsrc ?

No.  This is something specific to the binary tools, not to the package.
With pkgsrc's pkg_install, any of pkg_add {vtwm,vtwm-5.4.7,vtwm-5.4.7.tgz}
will work... even from remote locations!  If you do not specify a version
pkg_add will automatically pick up the latest one.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/