Re: Perl Elasticsearch client p5-Search-Elasticsearch and older stacks

Brad Spencer <brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost> writes:

> I won't go into the drama behind this, as one can do a Internet search
> and find it for yourself, but Elasticsearch is in an argument with
> Opensearch and a resulting fall out is that the 8.0 Perl Elasticsearch
> client (p5-Search-Elasticsearch) has been broken such that it will not
> speak to most older Elasticsearch clusters, either from Elasticsearch
> themselves, or from Opensearch.

This strikes me as a bug in upstream that is reasonable to patch in
pkgsrc.   I have seen other cases of "check for various things that are
not actually necessary and fail, to be prickly about unsupported" and
almost always consider them bugs.

It seems reasonable to patch it out, and I would note this in DESCR as
adding a final paragraph:

  Upstream code to reject Opensearch has been removed from this package.

(I would also just remove the lines including the comment, as I am not a
fan of disabling code with comments.  But that's my style preference,
not pkgsrc doctrine.)

Because MAINTAINER is pkgsrc-users, anyone is free to do things like
this.  Just remember to PKGREVISION++ as this changes the installed bits
in more than a docs-spelling-fix way.

Longer term, it seems someone(tm) needs to fork so that we can package
p5-Search-Opensearch and stop paying attention to Elasticsearch, but
that's not in scope for pkgsrc.