Re: Perl Elasticsearch client p5-Search-Elasticsearch and older stacks

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> Brad Spencer <brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost> writes:
>
>> I won't go into the drama behind this, as one can do a Internet search
>> and find it for yourself, but Elasticsearch is in an argument with
>> Opensearch and a resulting fall out is that the 8.0 Perl Elasticsearch
>> client (p5-Search-Elasticsearch) has been broken such that it will not
>> speak to most older Elasticsearch clusters, either from Elasticsearch
>> themselves, or from Opensearch.
>
> This strikes me as a bug in upstream that is reasonable to patch in
> pkgsrc.   I have seen other cases of "check for various things that are
> not actually necessary and fail, to be prickly about unsupported" and
> almost always consider them bugs.

The drama is documented elsewhere, but it mostly is a social / political
/ etc argument that they are having.  Right now, there doesn't appear to
be a technical reason for it and the throw() is done in such a way as to
make it confusing to the end programs.

> It seems reasonable to patch it out, and I would note this in DESCR as
> adding a final paragraph:
>
>   Upstream code to reject Opensearch has been removed from this package.

... and older Elasticsearch clusters...  that is what caught me.  The
8.00 Perl module won't work with a 7.x ES cluster and it appears for no
other reason than this check.  This is quite a break from previous
behavior.

> (I would also just remove the lines including the comment, as I am not a
> fan of disabling code with comments.  But that's my style preference,
> not pkgsrc doctrine.)
>
> Because MAINTAINER is pkgsrc-users, anyone is free to do things like
> this.  Just remember to PKGREVISION++ as this changes the installed bits
> in more than a docs-spelling-fix way.

I think I am going to let some time pass and will do this change if no
one else does it so I don't have to maintain my own local pkg.

> Longer term, it seems someone(tm) needs to fork so that we can package
> p5-Search-Opensearch and stop paying attention to Elasticsearch, but
> that's not in scope for pkgsrc.

There is a Search::OpenSearch, but that appears to be for something else
entirely.  Name clash??  But, yes, a fork might be desirable, if the
terms of Search::Elasticsearch allow for that.

--
Brad Spencer - brad%anduin.eldar.org@localhost - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org