Re: Re: Updating lang/LuaJIT2

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 04:29:52PM -0500, J. Lewis Muir wrote:
> On 04/03, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > Good points, but if upstream is using 2.0.X where X is unix timestamp,
> > there is a very strong presumption to just use their numbers, whether or
> > not they are aesthetically pleasing.  IMHO us departing from
> > upstream causes confusion.
>
> Oops, I misread that then!  Sorry, I thought Malte was proposing "2.0.X
> where X is unix timestamp" as the new versioning scheme since upstream
> had stopped making releases.  If upstream is still making releases or
> tagging or whatever, then yes, I agree with you, Greg, that it would be
> better to match upstream's versioning scheme.

Sorry, my phrasing should have been more clear.

Upstream uses the 2.0.X versioning where X is the unix timestamp derived
from the latest git commit using the command

$ git show --no-patch --format=%ct

and has .gitattributes set up to automatically include this release
version number X in the file .relver in the root of source archives.  So
they are not tagging releases, but instead they are assigning this
release version number to each commit.

I don't like the versioning scheme, but I don't think we should change
it without a very good reason either.

Cheers,
--
Malte Dehling