Re: Committer Request for wip/herbe

Kevin Bloom <kevin.bloom%posteo.net@localhost> writes:

> herbe doesn't have a man page or even a `-h` or `--help` flag. There
> is basically only one thing you can do with it which is `herbe foo` or
> `herbe foo bar`. You can modify the config.h to change some stuff with
> herbe but that isn't explained anywhere.

Well that'a a bug then!

> What do we do in situations like this? I could whip up a quick man
> page for it that contains some of the information in the README.

To be pedantic, file a bug upstream that there is no man page, and put a
note in the Makefile with the URL

# herbe does not have a man page
# https://whatever

You never know.  I have a filed a lot of upstream reports when doing
pkgsrc things and sometimes they get acted on and fixed, and somtimes
not.  But the fraction that have been treated reasoanbly is high enough
that I find it worthwhile.

But you mention a README.  If upstream has README that explains things,
it should be installed in share/doc/herbe/README.  See 21.6.2 in the
guide.   If that's sufficient, a missing man page is less serious, but
it is the unix norm to have a man page.

I would definitely not ask you to write a man page just for pkgsrc.