Re: lxqt crashing (Was: NetBSD 10 packages)

On 10/5/23 08:23, David Brownlee wrote:
On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 at 16:06, Jason Bacon <jtocino%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

On 10/5/23 07:33, Jason Bacon wrote:
I'm leaning toward not enabling dbus in rc.conf when LXQT is chosen in
desktop-installer.  I don't think dbus serves any purpose when there is
no login session running, but please chime in if I'm wrong about this.
Since LXQT starts its own dbus process anyway, the system service is at
best useless, and at worst buggers the login session.

On second thought, this would be problematic for my future plans to
support multiple desktops under SDDM login manager.  I can't assume that
all DEs will launch their own dbus when necessary, so I think it should
be enabled as a system service universally, and we should fix the issue
LXQT has with it.

That would be my inclination. Would you have access to a Linux system
or similar on which to check if lxqt starts an additional dbus process
there too? (Just wondering if it might have logic to conditionally
start dbus and the check is not firing correctly on NetBSD)

David

On FreeBSD, a child dbus process is also started unconditionally:

No dbus service running and logged into LXQT:

<<<ROOT@barracuda.acadix>>> /home/bacon 148 # ps ax | grep dbus
5853  -  S     0:00.00 dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
5854  -  Ss    0:00.03 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --syslog --fork
--print-pid 5

dbus service running and not logged in:

<<<ROOT@barracuda.acadix>>> /home/bacon 148 # ps ax | grep dbus
5961  -  Ss    0:00.00 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --system

dbus service running and logged in:

<<<ROOT@barracuda.acadix>>> /home/bacon 148 # ps axw | grep dbus
5961  -  Is    0:00.04 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --system
5974  -  I     0:00.00 dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
5975  -  Is    0:00.02 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --syslog --fork
--print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session