Re: lxqt crashing (Was: NetBSD 10 packages)

On Tue, 2023-10-03 at 16:36 +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 at 16:30, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 at 12:34, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
> > >
> > > I had a quick pass to try to run netbsd-9 pkgsrc binaries on a
> > > netbsd-10 system, but it looks like the compat90 packages need to
> > > be
> > > updated to add libarchive4 and likely many other versioned
> > > libraries.
> > > I'm going to take a pass at that, and will return to this once
> > > done :)
> >
> > OK, another datapoint, but definitely a curious one... After
> > updating
> > compat90 I installed the current pkgin set of netbsd-9 binary
> > packages
> > on a netbsd-10 box, logged in with slim to a lxqt desktop and
> > everything ran perfectly.
> >
> > The -9 packages had lxqt-panel-1.3.0nb3 rather than
> > lxqt-panel-1.3.0nb4, the diffs are likely in the last couple of
> > commits:
> > https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc/commits/trunk/x11/lxqt-panel/Makefile
> >
> > I'm going to start a local netbsd-9 build with the same recent
> > pkgsrc
> > as netbsd-10, plus test it I can build lxqt-panel-1.3.0nb3 against
> > an
> > otherwise recent pkgsrc for the up-to-date netbsd-10 build
>
> We have a winner!
>
> Running "cvs up -D2023-08-11" in /pkgsrc/x11/lxqt-panel and rebuilding
> lxqt-panel-1.3.0nb3.tgz gives a working panel back on netbsd-10,
> everything else otherwise the latest pkgsrc tree
>
> I have a jenga-like stack of non-NetBSD stuff to get caught up on, but
> if nobody has had a chance to look at this by tomorrow I should be
> able to take a pass..

The alternate workaround is to enable the pulseaudio option for the
lxqt-panel package. The volume plugin then starts on recent NetBSD;
I just confirmed that's the case with 10.99.9. (Now, I'm not offering
an opinion on what the best choice is here feature-wise, only
pointing out that it doesn't kill the panel.)

Dave