Re: Default EMACS_TYPE in pkgsrc/mk/defaults/mk.conf

On Sat, 19 Aug 2023 02:18:51 +0900
Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:

> The default "EMACS_TYPE" value for pkgsrc/editors/emacs
> to determine emacs version is still emacs26:
>  http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/mk/defaults/mk.conf#rev1.296
>  https://github.com/NetBSD/pkgsrc/blame/2911bbf/mk/defaults/mk.conf#L986
>
> Is there any reason to stick on the older version?

I think it makes sense to bump it to emacs28.
emacs29 brings in several new dependencies and although it works
fine for me, people might not like the new default dependencies.

I also would like to know if there are still users of the archaic
emacs versions we keep around or if they are dead weight?
emacs20 already had it's 20th birthday.

-Tobias