Re: sqlite3 json1

"Mathew, Cherry G.*" <c%bow.st@localhost> writes:

> I was wondering if databases/sqlite3 builds with json1 in core (this has
> been enabled for a while, iiuc).

I am not sure, but pkgsrc sqlite3 builds tend to include things, while
netbsd base has excluded some.  This caused issues with matrix-synapse
which needed some feature.

> Also, how does the sqlite3 in base/pkg get selected for use by a
> program? I'm especially interested in the case of python.

databases/sqlite3/builtin.mk decides if base is good enough.    You
should be able to set a PREFER variable (see the guide or the sources; I
don't have the details paged in) to force this.

A complexity is that some base libs have sqlite3 (heimdal?), and if you
force pkgsrc you can end up with it linked twice which is bad.  But you
can personally avoid that more easily than pkgsrc in the general case
can avoid it.

Really, base sqlite3 should either not exist or include these things.
Part of the problem is that upstream sqlite3 seems to have an attitude
that it should be built it to a program that needs it vs a library, and
default recommendations seemed tuned to this, vs a library which really
needs to have everything that isn't problematic enabled.  At least this
was my take when I tried to figure this out to help matrix-synapse.

The matrix-synapse case was resolved by documenting that you should use
pgsql, because that's what upstream says anyway.   All 2 of us using it
are happy with that!