Re: trouble compiling harfbuzz: env does not find meson

Yes, spot on. It seems pkgsrc and pkgin binaries are out of sync.
Perhaps it's because I updated with 'cvs update -dP' a few days ago
instead of downloading the 2023Q2 tarball, seems this got the pkgsrc
tree to bleeding edge, I naively thought it would get it to 2023Q2, oops
(yeah I don't really don't understand much of this cvs thing), and it's
all inconsistent now. Should pkgsrc be downgraded to 2023Q2 from the
tarball? or use cvs to get that specific version? I'm rather lost.

How can I make sure that pkgsrc and pkin are in the same branch? Also,
how do I tell what version a source directory from /usr/pkgsrc is?
pkg_info reports versions of installed packages, not for the sources on
/usr/pkgsrc.

`pkg_info -e meson` reports `meson-0.60.1`.

result of `ls -l /usr/pkg/bin/meson`:
  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  957 Nov 28  2021 /usr/pkg/bin/meson*

result of `head -n7 /usr/pkg/bin/meson`:
  #!/usr/pkg/bin/python3.9
  # EASY-INSTALL-ENTRY-SCRIPT: 'meson==0.60.1','console_scripts','meson'
  import re
  import sys

  # for compatibility with easy_install; see #2198
  __requires__ = 'meson==0.60.1

As you said, the interpreter (python3.9) is not installed, actually
running `meson` gives this output:
  zsh: /usr/pkg/bin/meson: bad interpreter: /usr/pkg/bin/python3.9: no
such file or directory

When I run 'pkg_info -e '*python*', this appears:
  python39-3.9.7
  python310-3.10.12
  python27-2.7.18nb6
  python39-3.9.9nb1
  python38-3.8.12nb1
  python37-3.7.12nb1

So the python39 package installation is broken. Running `pkg_admin
check python3.9` reports multiple errors saying that this or that file
is in `+CONTENTS` but not on the filesystem, but then I found out ...

... there is a worse issue. This NetBSD is running as a guest on a Linux
Virtualbox host, and I just realized there are are bad sectors on the
hard drive that have caused significant corruption of several files in
`/usr/pkg/pkgdb` and elsewhere (e.g. `cat +CONTENTS` might return binary
jibberish on stdout instead of showing the text contents). When
attempting to run `pkg_admin check`, the Linux host dmesg reports
several disk read errors and NetBSD spits out some 'lost interrupt' and
'bus master DMA error' messages on the TTY and freezes.

Removing packages also triggers the disk allergy. I'm afraid `pkg_admin
rebuild-tree` might cause further damage.

So I think I'll have to reinstall to some saner storage (I can't just
copy the virtual .vdi file because of I/O errors). Not everything is
corrupted on the NetBSD filesystem so maybe some parts can be salvaged.
The base system seems alright, it's the pkgsrc/pkg userland that is
messed up. Any recommendations for backing up with tar ? (or pax or
whatever?).