Re: python 3.7 removal proposal (before upstream EOL!!)

On Wed, Nov 09, 2022 at 03:02:03AM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 07:46:30PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > You have *not yet* said you are willing to generally fix things, only
> > things like "So far I haven't seen that many cases of difficult to fix
> > breakage..."  which I consider an impolite assertion that other people
> > should fix this for your benefit.
>
> I'm not going to fix all problems.

I _have_ been fixing all problems with python modules not building in
bulk builds at the start of the year, getting to near zero in April
before the first major python 3.7 breakage, and have been trying to do
this as an on-going effort during the whole year. I didn't see you
helping out. You made a fix for py-importlib-metadata to break the
dependency cycle (thanks for that), but this effort doesn't compare
well (in my eyes) to your demands for time and effort from others.

If you want to use python37 for porting, just use the last pkgsrc
branch with python 3.7 support, and then go to a newer python from
there. You never reacted to that proposal.

I think any more time spent on fixing stuff for python 3.7, or on this
discussion, is wasted, so I'll try to leave this discussion now.
 Thomas