Re: python 3.7 removal proposal (before upstream EOL!!)

Sure, if you agree to personally fix all the Python 3.7 build issues. I did not see you make any constructive proposals, or commit any fixes, before.

--
Benny

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> schrieb am Di., 8. Nov. 2022, 15:48:
Am Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 08:11:13AM -0400 schrieb Greg Troxel:
> However, many python packages fail to build with 3.7.

(1) This claim is not true. The vast majority of packages that that
don't build are either a direct result of the setuptools_scm bug or due
to a dependency on ipython or numpy.

(2) As I mentioned, Python 3.7 is important for the migration part from
2.7 and anyone involved with a bigger 2.7 code base in production will
tell you that is both an involved process and can take a while.

As such I request:

(1) Immediate stop any further removal of Python 3.7 support. I find it
frankly a major violation of pksgrc protocol to do so for a change that
has been contested before.

(2) Revert the change proposed here.

(3) (Re)introduce the last 3.7-supported versions of ipython and numpy
with the versioned Python dependency framework. For numpy, most packages
don't even need to change beyond dropping the (then) bogus py37
restriction.

Joerg