Re: python3.7 is now all but removed

On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 09:29:29PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 08:09:42PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > So what? Seriously, what's the problem? Python 3.11 doesn't work with
> > various important packages either, shall we remove it as well?
>
> The problem is that more and more packages stop working with python
> 3.7 (while more and more packages will start working with 3.11) and
> that we like to disable these packages in pkgsrc correctly for python
> 3.7. That would be easy, but because pbulk by default fails completely
> if these markings are not done recursively and correctly, it's a lot
> of effort to do this correctly, needs to be done manually (because we
> have no tooling for that) and breaks bulk builds if it's done
> incorrectly, which happened too often already (mostly for python 2.7
> but python 3.7 falls in the same category here).
>
> Taken together, this is a lot of effort, and we don't want to spend
> it any longer.

Having looked at it, I see very little evidence to support that claim
and a lot of cargo cult copying due to not dealing with the few problem
cases properly. So far I see two (2!) problematic cases: py-numpy and
py-ipython. Most of the rest is either trivially fixed (py-scipy,
py-matplatlib) or just needs an older version of one of those two
packages. This mail thread already costs more time than just fixing
things properly would have cost...

Joerg