Re: BLAS: Does cblas interface work with BLAS types other than netlib

Am Mon, 26 Sep 2022 12:29:52 +0530
schrieb Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost>:

> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 11:36:42AM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> > Now the choice of openblas implementation is to be made when - when
> > creating libdlib.a or when creating a.out?
>
> Finally, I find that the choice at the time of compiling dlib-cpp doesn't
> matter,

Yes. If you have a static library, it is the responsibility of the
final application build to pull in the correct CBLAS. There are subtle
differences in the cblas.h files, though. I reported one such case and
this shall be fixed in current/new versions. Most usage should be fine.

So it would be good to check if dlib uses the correct cblas.h matching
the chosen BLAS later in pkgsrc.

Also open is the question whether one should enable build of a shared
library instead. My opinion on this wandered with the times, but now I
do see a definite benefit in shared libs for they document which
dependencies they expect. Well, in a world with nested dependencies,
they have this advantage. You could say that this precondition is
already a bad thing.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--