pidgin and gnutls trust anchor configuration?

I am having problems with pidgin both with IRC and with XMPP.  pidgin
uses gnutls.

I know about mozilla-root-certs-openssl and have that installed.   And I
know that's not for gnutls.

Both servers use letsencrypt and have valif dcerts, and openssl s_client
is happy with both.

On pidgin startup, I get:

1) a warning about libera.chat:

    Accept certificate for irc.libera.chat?
    The certificate for irc.libera.chat could not be validated.
    The certificate is not trusted because no certificate that can verify it is currently trusted.

and then I can click accept and I get logged in.

2) a complaint for the xmpp server that it had an invalid certificate.
It seems the issue, with pidgin -d, is not having a trust anchor for
ISRG X1.

I was able to take the certificate (just the EE cert) and place it in
.purple/certificates/x509/tls_peers and then I can connect without a
prompt.   I had a previous such file, but it was the old cert because
they  get renewed every 9 weeks.

Searching, I am unable to find answers to "how do I configure trust
anchors for gnutls".   It seems obvious that many people would have that
problem, and would want to configure the mozilla rootcert, as a system
trust store.

p11-kit has 'trust list' which seems to have a lot of trust anchors,
including ISRG X1. This seems to come from

  /usr/pkg/share/mozilla-rootcerts/cacert.pem

which is in mozilla-root-certs which is a dependency of p11-kit, and
gnutls depends on p11-kit.  That makes sense.

Using

  gnutls-cli  --port 6697 irc.libera.chat
  gnutls-cli --starttls-proto xmpp --port 5222 jabber.example.com

works fine.

I wonder if the problem is that pidgin is invoking gnutls in a way which
tells it to ignore the system trust store, and then doesn't really cope.

Clues apprecaited,
Gteg