Re: virtualenv/pip failure, how to debug/fix?

Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> writes:

> I have succeeded, by doing
>
> 1) update to the python3.9  you just committed
>
> 2) adding this symlink instead my venv
>
>    lrwxr-xr-x  1 gdt  wheel  48 Dec 30 10:21 lib/python3.9/_sysconfigdata__netbsd9_.py -> /usr/pkg/lib/python3.9/_sysconfigdata_netbsd9.py

On a system running up-to-date 2021Q3, I did NOT do step 1 and then did

  lrwxr-xr-x  1 hass  hass  48 Dec 30 14:01 _sysconfigdata__netbsd9_.py -> /usr/pkg/lib/python3.8/_sysconfigdata_netbsd9.py

and that succeeded; I was able to update homeassisatnt which even
infolved building cryptography with rustc.

I think part of what's difficult is that one might expect the pip as
built by pkgsrc to be available in the chroot, but I think that's not
how virtualenv works.  It installs the upstream version, or at least a
wheel that came with the virtualenv release somehow.  There is some
option to expose the system installation to the chroot, but I'm still
not sure that includes pip.  And it exposes a lot of other things that
probably aren't a good idea for hass in a venv, which wants to control
its dependencies exactly.

I'll see if I can figure more out, but at least I have succeeded in
getting my venv back to working.

Mysteries are

  why isn't _sysconfig symlinked into the venv

  why is it _netbsd9_ in the venv and netbsd9 outside?