Re: virtualenv/pip failure, how to debug/fix?

On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 08:28:23PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> On NetBSD 9 amd64, I run home assistant in a virtualenv because it
> insists on exact dependency versions.  This mostly works well except
> occasionally there is new non-portability.
>
> Today's issue is a dependency on PyYaml 6, apparently a switch from
> ruamel.yaml==0.15.100 and this shoudln't be a big deal.  BUt it fails to
> build, despite an earlier version in pkgsrc being ok.
>
> To minimize, I did
>
> virtualenv-3.9 T
> cd T
> bin/pip install PyYaml==6.0
>
> which led to the following bizarrely losing in setuptools looking for
> __sysconfigdata__netbsd9__.

This has nothing to do with pip, it's in setuptools.
Use setuptools from pkgsrc for now.

Longer version:

setuptools is working on integrating distutils, since that will be
deprecated in python 3.12. We have local patches for distutils (in
python*/patches) and setuptools upstream was very helpful in getting
workarounds for those in place. But the workaround needs extra config
files installed before setuptools is installed. I plan on adding those
to the python packages, but haven't gotten around to it yet (since the
change to use the included distutils in setuptools again is very
recent, last two weeks I think).
 Thomas